Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Welcome to Shlomo's Drash!

Welcome Haver!

I've been posting Shlomos drash for four and a half years now as private e-list. I thought it was time to get this thing a little more accessible for those out there in DrashLand. So here I am!

For those of you on the-list, Welcome back!

For those of you who are new, let me tell you a little about the list and me. I'm a liberal post-denomination Jew whose getting his second masters in Jewish Studies ( my first was in Education). For lack of a better term, I'm a Torah Geek, who every week engages the text looking for meaning in modern life personally and in modern living. Shlomo's Drash is my weekly record of those explorations of Torah Talmud and Midrash. Often I will bring in examples from much of the Jewish History mainstream Jews have never heard of.

My motto "It is a mater of Torah and I need to learn" is from a strange story in the Talmud. Brachot 64b. It it the story of Rabbi Akiva when he was a student hiding in the bathroom of his teacher. He learnt which direction one should sit on the toilet and which direction to wipe afterwards. When he tells this story to his students he is greeted with shock, to which he replies "It is a mater of torah and I need to learn." the point is every activity, even the most mundane has some sacred value and spiritual meaning, and we need to find them. This is the quest I attempt with Shlomos Drash.

So sit back and enjoy. Comments are always welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,
Outlook has a format option where a sender can automatically request a receipt that the email was received. I have been reprimanded by senders that I do not have to clog their inbox with a perfunctory thank you - "I got the e-mail." I say , if you want a reply on e-mail, ask for it with the requestor box, otherwise assume that if it did not bounce, that it went through. Of course a question desrves a reply. A mass e-mail or announcement does not. A reply does not need a reply if no additional information is being transferred. Courtesy and common sense should be used.

I do find the entire concept of what information is appropriate to transfer, to whom and when and under what circumstances, to be very challenging. I have screwed up many times and my own preferred method of screwing up is by silence; not providing relevant information out of fear of the response that may result.

Anonymous said...

I like avaraham yehuda's points. It also makes me wonder if three are talking words of Torah on a blog is it the samd as three talking at a table?

As for acknowledgement notifications, in AOL the same is true, but only with other aol members. However between some platforms like aol to outlook based stuff that doesn't work as well to my knowledge.


In true talmudic fashion of course that brings the issue of how I am going to accomplish this here in a blog. I've set this to moderate comments so if your comment shows up, it means I at least saw it. if you dont, it means that I didn't -- yet.